7/6/09

Goodbye Mr. Kidd

At approximately 12:09 in the afternoon, Mr. Jason Kidd placed two bean and cheese tacos on my desk and then announced that he was leaving our dealership. As I have mentioned numerous times, auto sales is a migratory business. Sales staff flock from dealership to dealership like birds at the change of seasons. It was inevitable, therefore, that Jason Kidd would leave us, as will all of these sales people eventually. It fazes nobody. As I ate my tacos, I listened to the sales staff quietly mutter variations of a phrase containing the words Jason and gone. But business continues as usual. Tomorrow, the only people who remember him here will be his customers and me.

I am sad to see him go.

I genuinely enjoyed working with Jason, who had been survived being shot in the face when he was younger, and had the scars to prove it. One time, Jason convinced me that his father-in-law was involved in some famous dealings with a well known Texas politician and I was so thrilled to hear the story that I relayed it to some friends only to learn that he was telling me the plot to the movie Charlie Wilson's War. But Jason could tell a story with such innocent elation it made me want to believe him. And I think I do.

He also helped to get me on the CAD grant review panel by introducing me to one of his customers, who was none other than the city grant coordinator. He encouraged me to not give up on my quest to embark on the same path that every salesperson eventually takes: the path that leads away from here. He would always joke that once I had a real career I could take him out to dinner.

And I will.

1 comment:

  1. I HAVE A '97 Dodge Caravan with 187,000 miles. It might be the cheapest car to operate I've ever owned. The seats feel great. I slapped a rebuilt $1200 transmission in at 103,000. Since then it has cost me about $500 a year in repairs. This is not bad, really. An under- rated car.

    My best poems were written in a Plymouth Voyager while cruising down the highway at 65 miles an hour. The lap top model I had fit perfectly in the stgearing wheel. It had a great sound system. Perfect for the travelling salesman and the artist.

    Sun Ra and the Mystic Science Orkestra travelled to Austin in a Voryager.

    ReplyDelete